Everyone focuses on the Turkey or the Beef on Christmas Day when really it’s what’s with the meat that makes it sing on your dinner table. This year whack the meat in the oven using the guidelines from your butcher or supplier and get your sides on!
Here are my super sides and not a mention of Wedding Catering anywhere!!
Honey and Cinnamon glazed Carrots and Parsnips
1. Peel and quarter length ways 1 carrot and 1 parsnip per person
2. Whack them in a greaseproof lined roasting tray
3. Drizzle with a little oil and season with salt and pepper
4. Roast in oven for 15-20 mins 170 degrees
5. Add a pinch of Cinnamon per person, and a Star Anise.
6. Continue to roast for 5 more mins
7. Drizzle with a teaspoon of honey per person and a knob of butter 2 mins more in the oven and your done!
Braised Red Cabbage, Cardamon, Bay Leaves and Apples
1. Shred a large Red Cabbage
2. Peel and core 3 Granny Smith Apples and dice very small
3. Add this to the largest pan you have
4. Cover with cider or apple juice and 5 crushed cardamon pods
5. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
6. Add 4 Bay Leaves and 200g of demerera sugar
7. Reduce until there is very little liquid left and add a knob of butter and season well serve yummy!
Best Roasties ever!
1. Peel and chop Potatoes, place in a large pan cover with cold water and a large spoonful of salt.
2. Bring to a simmer for 5 mins then drain into a colander and leave to steam dry giving them a little shake to bash up the exterior.
3. Heat the oven at 200 degrees.
4. Place a deep sided tray with a good splash of vegetable oil or goose fat or dripping if you have it and heat until the oil is smoking hot.
5. Add the potatoes to the pan, being careful turn the fat so its completely covered return to the oven,
6. If your having Turkey sprinkle a little Cumin Seeds over the spuds- this will be amazing with Turkey!
7. Cook until the Potatoes are golden brown removing from the oven once to turn the Potatoes over.